CBD Oil for Back Pain
Back pain is a common condition in the UK. It can be caused by a variety of factors. Depending on the cause, the severity and nature of the pain differ. Back pain can be caused by wear and tear, improper posture or and it can also be as a result of slipped disc.
The treatment and management of the pain depend mainly on what is causing the pain. Some types of back pain can be treated by over the counter medications, while others require specialised treatment and care.
What is Back Pain?
Back pain is any type of pain affecting the upper, middle or lower parts of the back. Lower back pains are the most common often felt along the spine.
Sometimes, the cause of the pain is nothing to be concerned about and the pain will go away in due time.
In such cases, several tips like staying active, exercising and stretching and using hot and cold compression packs will aid in reducing the pain and helping you get back to your regular routine.
However, not all back pains are typical. Some types of back pain are a sign of something more serious. It might be a good idea to have your back checked by a professional if you notice any of the following:
- The pain does not improve over a few weeks.
- The pain keeps you from staying active and stops your day to day activities.
- Severe back pain that only gets worse as time passes.
- You are struggling to cope, or you are extremely worried about the pain.
What Causes Back Pain?
Back pains are often a result of an injury like a strain or sprain. The injury causing the pain is in most cases subtle and nothing that you would notice. Weight lifters and people who often bend like cleaners and some people in blue-collar jobs are more likely to suffer from back injuries.
Why not also read: CBD Oil and Sciatica
Back pain can also be caused by excessive use of the back. This is common for constructors and other people who bend or sit for long periods.
Severe cases of back pain are caused by a prolapsed or slipped disc. This is where the spine cartilage presses on a nearby nerve. Acute back pain can also be caused by sciatica, which is the irritation of a nerve that runs from the pelvis to the feet.
Patients suffering from a slipped disc or sciatica also suffer from additional symptoms which include:
- Weakness in the limbs or lower back
- A tingling sensation
What is CBD Oil?
CBD was first discovered in the 1940s. While it has come along way since then, there is still a lot of mystery and confusion that surrounds the compound.
CBD is a cannabinoid. It is one of the thousands of cannabinoids found the cannabis plant and a cousin to the extremely popular Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
While THC and CBD have plenty in common, one distinct difference is the fact that CBD doesn’t have psychoactive effects. Also, CBD is legal and easy to obtain as long as you are above the age limit.
Once CBD is extracted from the cannabis plants, it can be processed into one of three forms:
- Broad-spectrum CBD – This type of CBD contains not only the CBD but also all the other cannabinoids and terpenes found in the hemp plant. Broad-spectrum CBD also contains trace amounts of THC. However, these are within the legal limit, which is 0.2% which is not enough to get you high.
- Full-spectrum CBD – This type of CBD contains the cannabinoids and terpenes but is stripped of all the THC.
- CBD Isolate – CBD Isolate contains pure CBD and nothing else. It does not have the other cannabinoids, THC or terpenes — just good old CBD.
All CBD products in the market are made from any one of these forms of CBD. For users that are keen not to get any THC in their system, full-spectrum and CBD isolate are the best types of CBD.
CBD Properties that Can Help With Back Pain
CBD has anti-inflammation properties. Some types of back pain are caused or aggravated by inflammation. By reducing the swelling, it’s possible to reduce the pain.
Long-term and chronic back pain can lead to anxiety and fatigue due to lack of proper rest and sleep. CBD is a relaxant and also has properties that can improve the quality of sleep in the patient. With these properties, you can improve your general state of relaxation.
Types of CBD Products for Back Pain
There are plenty of CBD products to choose from. Each of the CBD products is designed to appeal to different CBD users.
- CBD Capsules and tablets – These are ideal for users that prefer to swallow or take CBD orally. CBD capsules and tablets are effective and easy to use. They can help with a variety of concerns.
- CBD Vape Liquid – CBD vape liquid is ideal for users looking for a quick way to absorb CBD. Vaping CBD is growing in popularity because it has a high bioavailability and the absorption is faster.
- CBD Balms – CBD balms are topical products that you can smear on the desired areas. The product is absorbed through the skin and can be applied multiple times.
How CBD Works in the Body
CBD relies on the Endocannabinoid System. The ECS is present in all mammals and helps in processing cannabinoids that are produced in the body.
The ECS is made up of cannabinoid cells (CB1 and CB2) receptors and enzymes that break down the structure of the CBD.
When you take CBD, it finds it’s way to the cell receptors which are located in different areas around the body. Once it binds to the cell receptors, the enzymes break it down to simpler compounds that can be absorbed into the body.
Does CBD Have Any Side Effects?
There are very few cases of adverse effects caused by the use of CBD. However, it's important to make sure you buy quality CBD products from reputable companies. Quality and pure CBD has low toxicity which means you need substantial amounts of CBD to risk an overdose.
Before taking CBD, it’s strongly recommended that you talk to a doctor. This is particularly important if you have any existing health conditions, or, if you’re taking medications.
Why not also read: CBD Oil And Thyroid