Why and How to Take CBD Oil Under the Tongue
Since CBD found its way into the mainstream market and online stores, the choices available to CBD lovers have improved. With that, methods of taking CBD have also increased. There are CBD drops, sprays, gummies and capsules. Each product has a different way of taking it.
Why not also read: What to Look for in CBD Oil?
The most effective method of taking CBD is vaping. But not everyone is a fan of vaping. So, if you’re looking for a quick way to get CBD into your bloodstream without affecting its bioavailability, taking it sublingually – taking it under your tongue would be the solution.
Why You Should Take CBD Oil Under The Tongue?
There are several reasons why taking CBD sublingually makes sense for most CBD lovers. Some of these reasons include;
- Easy administration – Taking CBD sublingually is easy and straightforward. It doesn’t require any tools or a science. All you have to do is take the dropper, measure the amount of CBD you want and drop it under your tongue.
- Faster absorption – When taken sublingually, CBD doesn’t have to go through biological processes like digestion which can degrade the potency of CBD and reduce the rate of absorption. When taken sublingually, the CBD works its way directly into the bloodstream for faster effects.
- Higher bioavailability – Bioavailability is the amount of CBD that makes it into your blood stream. When taking sublingually, the CBD goes directly into the bloodstream. It doesn’t have to go through the body’s natural filters like the stomach, small intestines and liver which filter out most of the CBD. Because more CBD makes it into your bloodstream, the effects are more profound and are more likely to stick around longer.
- You can take the CBD anywhere – You can administer CBD sublingually anywhere. You only need to carry your CBD oil with you.
How Is Sublingual CBD Administered?
To enjoy the full benefits of taking CBD sublingually, you have to ensure you take it the right way. Here is a quick guide on who you should take CBD sublingually.
- Start by choosing your preferred CBD oil tincture. The tincture comes in the form drops or sprays. Regardless of which one you choose, the method of administration doesn’t change.
- Try not to eat or drink right before taking the tincture. Eating before taking the tincture affects how fast and consistently the CBD is absorbed into your bloodstream. Try to hold of on anything to eat for 15-20 minutes after using the tincture. You can also try to wait a similar amount before you take your dose.
This doesn’t mean you take CBD oil on an empty stomach. But you should have a sufficient amount of time of before the meal and when you take your tincture. You can help increase the effectiveness of CBD absorption by brushing your teeth before taking the CBD.
- Fill up the dropper with the desired amount of CBD, lift your tongue and drop the recommended number of drops under your tongue. Be cautious not to drop the CBD oil on top of your tongue. You might accidentally swallow it too soon which will affect the effectiveness and timeline for absorption.
For tinctures that are in form of a spray, you can spritz it under your tongue. Still make sure you don’t spray on top of your tongue because it won’t have the same effect.
- Hold the drops under your tongue for about 30 seconds to one minute before swallowing. This gives it time to enter the bloodstream and start working. During this period, you might experience a build up of saliva in your mouth. Try your best to resist the urge to swallow. If you use a spray instead of drops, wait at least a minute before swallowing.
How Is CBD Absorbed Sublingually?
The buccal cavity, which is the area under the tongue is filled with soft tissue and a rich network of blood capillaries. Once you drop the CBD oil into the buccal cavity, it is absorbed into the blood capillaries and carried off to cannabinoid receptors in different areas of the body. It’s a quick and effective process.
How Much CBD Is Absorbed Sublingually?
Taking CBD under the tongue (sublingually) is one of the most effective ways to take CBD. How effectively CBD is absorbed into your body is a crucial factor because it also determines how much CBD you have to take to achieve the desired results. Consequently, that also determines the amount of CBD you should buy.
If only 5% of the CBD you take is absorbed into the body, taking CBD can become extremely expensive. That is why it is important to use the most effective methods of administration to ensure the highest possible absorption rate.
The bioavailability of CBD when it is consumed orally is between 10-20%. Sometimes, this can be as low as 6%. When inhaled, the bioavailability increases dramatically to about 34-46% with some studies reporting as much as 56% bioavailability.
When taken sublingually, the bioavailability of CBD oil is about 13-19%. In some cases, this has been found to go up to 35%. Although it is much lower than vaping and inhaling CBD, taking CBD sublingually is more comfortable, much easier and is higher than taking it orally or topically.
Is Sublingual Absorption Faster than Oral?
Taking CBD under your tongue is not just more effective, it is also more efficient. When administered sublingually, it can take anywhere between 10-15 minutes to achieve results, after which the amount in your bloodstream gradually decreases
When taken orally, CBD can take between 30 minutes to several hours. This is because the CBD has to go through the entire digestion process and is absorbed when it gets to the small intestines. Besides taking longer, most of the CBD is also broken down by the digestive process and filtration.
Quick Facts About Taking CBD Under the Tongue
- CBD oil is taken under the tongue because the cannabidiol can be absorbed into the bloodstream through the buccal cavity membrane.
- The longer you hold the CBD in place the higher the chances that more of the CBD can be absorbed. The recommended holding time is up to 120 seconds.
- You can swallow the remaining oil safely. Some of it will be absorbed in your stomach.
- You should only take CBD oils under the tongue.
Downsides of Taking CBD Sublingually
There are numerous benefits of taking CBD under the tongue. But like other methods, there are also some downsides that you should be aware of.
Taking CBD sublingually though easy requires some getting used to. It’s not easy to tell exactly how many drops you’ve used if you don’t position the dropper correctly. You might take more or less than the required amount.
The best way to fix this problem is to dose in front of a mirror. You can also ask a friend to help you position the dropper correctly or count the drops. After a few times, it will get easier and you can do it by yourself.
Why not also read: Best 5 Puff Bar Flavors
If you’re still struggling, you can consider using CBD sprays which apply the CBD directly under your tongue with no fuss. There are brands that have also specifically designed droppers with markers that make it easy to apply specific amounts of CBD oil without guessing.
Why Does CBD Oil Burn Under My Tongue?
Some CBD users have complained of noticing an intense, bitter flavour when using CBD under the tongue. The bitter taste is common because many brands use a high amount of hemp plant extract to get the best effects. You can manage the taste by taking a mouthful of water.
If the oil results in any worse reactions, you should stop using them immediately and consult a doctor. Landing on poor quality CBD oil is easier than you think. It’s essential to ensure you purchase your CBD oil from reputable vendors only.
About the author: